Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 140- Not Alone

Since Tuscany, we celebrated one of Maria and Valerio's friend's birthday and went to a barbecue at his house. For me, that would mean a lot of red meat, but here it's more chicken, pork, and grilled Italian sausage, which is my favorite. Also you can't go without the cold pasta and rice dishes, with mixed vegetables and of course-mozzarella. So we had a good time, but headed home after a while because we had been driving a lot that day and were basically done with the whole being awake thing.

Last week, I went to the lake again and had one of their Italian sausage panini...which are going to send me on a search for Italian sausage in Chile...because it's amazing. They flatten out the sausage on a grill and then grill up peppers and onions, with some white wine, then some tomato, a little mustard...on what for me is "Ciabatta" bread...and voilá. Great sandwich. So Valerio and I continued to work on or non-tans, this time without our peppy friend Noe :( ...and then headed back to the Roman oven.

And...besides all that, yesterday I went to the airport to get Carlos. It's so odd that I haven't seen him so long, it feels like yesterday, and even more so once I saw him. It's funny because in some ways it's like nothing has changed...but I know a lot has. It's impossible to not learn about each other and for a relationship not to change after being apart for while. So far, it's all good.

But his arrival also means that my time here alone has for the most part come to an end, besides a few days after he leaves. I have been thinking about it a lot, and I admit, wondering how I would feel about the possible invasion of space, or having to be conscious of someone else's wants and needs. I find myself so happy though, excited to share the things I've seen and now know as a part of my routine. In a way, it is that that allows me to feel like I am actually a part of this...less of a tourist. I can tell him about Rome, and all the wonderful food; I can speak to him in Italian (even if he doesn't understand me yet). My time here has payed off....in every way possible.

Yesterday we already saw a lot of things around center city, and I have already filled him with the works-pizza, spaghetti, cheese, gelato. Wine. Today, round 2.

Now, I have one month left, to enjoy, to live as best I can. Sicily and Amalfi sound amazing and I can't wait to go. We leave on Monday...Ci vediamo!


No comments:

Post a Comment