Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 132- Noè Goes to the Lake

Busts of historical figures-Gianicolo Hill
This week I checked off a few more attractions from my "Things to do in Rome" list. As I was leaving the house, Valerio offered to come with me and be my tour guide, so I wasn't going to resist too much. I definitely got much more done than I would have walking around, so it was nice. First we went up the Gianicolo, another of the 7 Roman hills. For sure one of the best views of Rome I've seen so far. Then as we drove towards Trastevere, Valerio pointed out one of the jails in Rome, right in the center of town. You would never know it was there, it looks just as pleasant as any of the buildings of the area, but if you take a minute to look at it you start to see the bars across the windows, and then you're even close enough to see the inmates cells. Not surprising the jail looked so nice- as usual, that's where a lot of the taxes go. We moved on, made a few stops in Trastevere, and then went to Circo Massimo, an ancient stadium where they would have chariot races. We were heading for the Boca de la Verita (Mouth of Truth), but the line was long, so I'll go earlier another day. Somehow even though I check stuff off my list, it doesn't get any shorter. There's too much to see here! Still, I think I'll make a small dent in the map by the time I leave.




Wall of thanks in Trastevere.
Legend says a father and his sons who were unharmed during a war bombing placed a
plaque thanking the Virgin Mary for answering his prayers. After that, it became tradition. 

Terme di Caracalla at Circo Massimo
Later in the week...


Meet Noè (as in Noah). He's Maria's cousin's puppy, and since she went away for a few days, we got to babysit the cucciolo. I couldn't have been more thrilled at the news, because I love animals, as does Valerio, so we were ready to take on the necessary roles. Pasquina unfortunately did not feel the same way; she has a dog fobia...so  Noè  was cloistered to a part of the house where there would be no encounters between the all too friendly dog and Paqui.

They came over to drop him off on Tuesday night, we had a nice dinner...Valerio pulled off three plates in an hour or so, Gordon Ramsey style. Eggplant Parmesan, meatballs (the old bread that was sitting around, that he kep saying he would use, finally disappeared), and roasted potatoes...a little of everything, and as I helped him get things together I jotted down the recipes. It'll be interesting to see if I can get any of the similar tastes when I make everything myself...hope so.

Wednesday the plan was originally to go to Lake Martignano with  Noè, where we went for the barbecue in May, but Valerio and his friends went out, so the next day morning was delayed to 4 in the afternoon.  So  Noè  and I just hung out at the house together and participated in a never-ending game called "Give Me Back My Sock". That night, I got to taste the food (and wine) Paqui brought back from Puglia, and it confirmed what I've heard Valerio say many times: The farther away from Rome you are, the better the food. Puglia is pretty far down South. No wonder she makes the effort to stack her suitcase full of homemade foods.

The next day, Valerio kept his promise to Noè and we headed to the lake. Thursday was also the 4th of July, so I was satisfied we were coincidentally doing something quite appropriate to celebrate. Not that anyone was celebrating besides myself...in my head, but still. After letting Noè off his leash (big mistake...they did tell us not to do that haha), we had some good artisan beer and an amazing panini, consisting of an Italian sausage hamburger topped with grilled vegetables and tomato, wrapped in a perfect piece of what I know as Ciabatta bread. I could have had another one, but at some point I have to start saving face. I'm not a growing teenage boy trying to jump weight groups on a wrestling team.  I need to start acting like it. Haha...




Anyway, we lay out in the sun, occasionally having to chase after Noè who was quickly getting a reputation, running through people's food, scaring kids, and of course humping as many dogs as he could-mostly ones that were a lot larger, making the whole thing impossible for him, but very entertaining for us. By the end of the day, everyone knew him, and gladly helped us watch the crazy puppy a little. Once we both finally had something that resembled a tan, and had spent enough time in the water, which by the way was such a nice temperature and very clean for a lake, we packed up and drove back to Rome with our tired out puppy sleeping in the back seat. And the next day, before we knew it, Maria's cousin was back to pick Noè up.  She did bring us some mozzarella di bufala from where she was visiting in return for the dog, so we gave him back to her.

I have to stop and talk about this mozzarella. So far it's the best I've had, which is more logic than anything else because mozzarella di bufala is the best, and if you're eating one from a place that is known for mozzarella, it wouldn't really go any other way. Now, the only difference between regular mozzarella and mozzarella di bufala, is in the name, and literal (no Jessica Simpson mistakes).  Mozzarella di Bufala is in fact made from buffalo milk, unlike the regular mozzarella, made from cow's milk. This makes it a little more sour, giving it a more intense flavor. We made a Caprese salad, and I ate my entire plate without even putting oil or salt on it. It's just perfection. I don't understand what I'm going to do in Chile without fresh mozzarella. If I got a farm, do you think anyone would trust a Chilean/American making mozzarella? I have to buy a cow.

So anyway, we said our goodbye's to Noè, and now it's off to Cortona.  Maria, Flavia and I are all set for our weekend getaway. And yes I'm thinking about the food. It is Tuscany after all...



No comments:

Post a Comment