Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 54- Rain

OK so enough rain already. I was loving it the first two days, because it was a weekend and I didn't have to go out for any reason whatsoever so that meant I was forced to stay in bed under the covers and read and watch shows online. While eating. What agony right?  But now, it's going to class in the rain, and of course having no car really brightens my mood. Rain. On the bus, off the bus. Rain. Metro. Rain. Blahh.

Plus, the rain only furthers my not running this week. Which was critical after all that wonderful French cuisine.  Not good. It didn't really go well last time I went running either.....I think I was maybe lacking in effort so my feet were maybe less off the ground than they should have been...so I tripped and completely ate it. Faceplanted. It was pretty bad. Of course it was hilarious, and as my eyes automatically got watery, I laughed for about 10 minutes at myself...but it was still bad. I looked like a ten-year-old with a rip in my leggings and my hands all scraped. This guy and some lady came over to me to see if I was OK (I can't stop laughing even as I'm replaying this in my head) and began talking in Italian and all I knew how to say was that I was OK and thank you.  How sad not being able to justify in the least bit why you were just lying on the ground. Awesome haha. Anyway..I will start to do exercise inside soon if this weather keeps up.

Speaking of exercise...and food...Valerio made more risotto.  And this time I paid attention so I am hoping I can make a batch myself soon. Risotto di Funghi (Mushrooms). It was delishh.  And soon he'll be showing me how to make artichokes the "Roman Way" with the fresh ones we bought at a fair that is done in honor of the artichoke, that are now in season here. The Sagra del Carciofo Romanesco, took place on the streets of Ladispoli, a small coastal town about 40 minutes from Rome. So basically never-ending stands of artichokes, as wells those that ranged of things from fresh cheese and salami, to clothes and cooking utensils.  The artichokes are however, different from what I usually have in the States or Chile, because they're smaller and the leaves have a purple hue in them, which actually makes them quite pretty and flowerlike. From what I can see, the leaves are also tougher so I've noticed they only use the inner leaves and the heart to cook with. For lunch we stopped at a place with a set menu, every item containing artichoke. Artichoke gnocchi and lasagna, prawns and calamari with artichoke sauce, and the highlight of my day, FRIED artichokes. See for yourself.
Carciofi Friti!

So..plans for this weekend: it's the Settimana della Cultura or Culture Week. Which is amazing (as long as it STOPS RAINING!), because to promote and celebrate the culture of Rome, they open the doors to all of the museums and historical sights for free! So that means I'm going to get my tourist on (finally) at all the places there are to offer in the city that is my "current location". I am also hoping to look into a guided tours of ancient ruins outside of Rome, as well as a cello concert that looks interesting. We'll see. And I won't be at it alone, because Catalina, a girl Coni and I met in Paris is coming to stay with me until Tuesday. She's actually Colombian and is living in Berlin, so I'm sure she'll be all for seeing the sights.

Besides that, it looks like it'll be Napoli and Pompei next...Sound good?

No comments:

Post a Comment