Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 1

I arrive in Rome at 5:20 p.m.-Italy time. It's only 1:20 in Chile. After a long flight to Paris, and few hours of uncomfortable and awkward sleep in the airport waiting for my connection flight, I look out the airplane window and realize I'm actually looking for the "Colosseo". Of course I can't see it...I don't even know what direction it would be in.  And it's funny, because what I can see of course doesn't even look Italian like I expected. It's been so long since I've been here. It's funny how sometimes countries are not so different when you're at the airport.  Just tiny houses and streets, and cars moving around like in a video game. So I get off the plane and lug both my suitcases towards the exit. No customs police-that was in France...so I walk out and look a little like Bambi for a second...all confused and alone. But then I found transportation desk and was in a taxi in under 5 minutes. I use my first horrible italian words to greet the driver and try and hold up conversation as Carlo drives me to where I'm supposed to stay. Viale Aurelio Saffi is only 25 minutes away so I don't feel lost for nearly as long as I thought I would. The host Giovanna greets me and shows me around the apartment and then leaves me to get settled in my room. It's basically just as nice as it looked in the pictures. I still can believe I'm here. No dinner tonight, it's dark and I like not feeling anxious about not knowing where I am for a little. I just stole a yogurt from the fridge though, which I think are only meant for the included breakfast. It's probably my idea, but the yogurt was amazing. MTV in italian is greatt except I really don't even understand a word. Ohhh well. I think for a dose of routine I'll watch a grey's episode. I have to go to the school tomorrow for all the official stuff and figure out my schedule. It seems far and a little complicated to get there...but I'm not sure. I hope not.

Still can't believe I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment