Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 3- A Lot of Walking

So between yesterday and today I think I've pretty much walked more than I usually do in months.  But it's been good, I'm definitely getting to know the area little by little.  I'm actually feeling pretty confident given that a few times I've taken turns completely based on instinct and somehow found a way to get home.  I figure if little old italian ladies are asking me for directions I must be doing something right.  Too bad I haven't been able to help them. I think I probably gave them the same puzzled face I've given everyone I've talked to here so far...which really must not be that impressive. So i haven't really seen truth in what people say about italian being easy...but it is only my third day. Not too lost.

Yesterday I had my first italian meal. I realized, well if we're going to be honest, long before yesterday, that I could eat italian food everyday for the rest of my life. There is nothing more beautiful than pasta and sauce and cheese. My lunch was a perfect lasagna with artichokes at a little table outside of a restaurant that would sit next to "italian restaurant" in the dictionary.  I couldn't resist.  Little alley, sun, chalk menu, lasagna. Seriously, where could I go wrong? So I sat there with the fork in one hand and my italian dictionary learning about how (again) italian is quite easy for the spanish speaker to learn. My excuse is I wasn't born in Chile. That makes me a native english speaker, so that's why it's hard and I can't understand a word they say to me and definitely had the person at the post office hating me after explaining the same thing to me 10 times. That's what I've decided to tell myself.

Anyway so far great weather.  NOT what I would consider winter. No jacket today after carrying it around all day yesterday. It does get colder when the sun sets obviously but by then I'm on my way home cause me and all my italian friends haven't found a bar we like yet. Or..they're..imaginary. Um but today I met a girl from school in Chile, who's here also and we walked around for a while..we went to the Vatican...actually walked through a neighborhood where some of the addresses I have for rentals are and I'm in love with the area so I want to call as soon as I have a phone to go see the rooms. It would be amaazing. So that's my plan for tomorrow. More walking. More of my wonderful job of speaking italian. More wishing I could eat everything I see.



Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment