Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 93

Well another week has gone by! Way too fast. I won't even get into the whole time flies philosophy because I know everyone knows it all too well.

So during this past week, I've been busy. The Notte dei Musei didn't end up happening because of a school bombing in South Italy...a girl was killed and officials thought the mafia might be involved. I have to admit, before coming here the whole mafia thing was very Hollywood to me. Something dangerous and glamorous, "la famiglia".  But here it is a sad reality, and unfortunately things like the bombing happen because of it...Hopefully, sometime soon, it will only be in the movies.

So we stayed home, but the day brought many things: I had my first ride on the back of a motorcycle in Rome. It was magical. Haha. Maybe not the typically imagined ride arms around a dreamy Italian boy, but I was happy to go with Maria to get some wine. (Yes, we are always drinking wine-why wouldn't we when it's this good?) Anyway, I coolly hung on to the back of the seat, wind in my face, as she zipped back and forth between cars to the store...and back at the house, with my helmet hair and bottles in hand, I was fully satisfied by my first Italian moto-experience.

Combine ingredients, knead, roll, fill, bake.
Then with Pasqui I learned to make a Crostata, which I quickly figured out is a sort of pie, but with equal amounts of crust and filling. The outside is a crumbly short crust pastry, and the filling was different jams in one, and Nutella in the other. Initially we were both "going to make the Crostatas", but it turned out I just watched, as Pasquina oh-so-precisely created the lovely dessert. Of course, I wrote down everything...it's a good thing they have Nutella in Chile.

Of course later that night we went out to eat pizza, I am happy to say at Est! Est! Est! again. This time the meal was complete with a variety of fried eats, including mozzarella, fiori di zuccha (zucchini blossoms), and cod, before we each downed our delectable pizzas. It had also been a while since I laughed so much until it hurt, so the night couldn't have ended better.

Then, the week began; I went on a small adventure to find the last book I have to read for English, did a few circles around the Termini neighborhood, eagerly went to finally buy a pair of shoes I had been watching for a long time, then let down because they didn't have them anymore...The week went on, I ran 5 kilometers and got really excited about it because I don't usually run that much; and also thought about how it's ironic that the most fit I've been in a looong time is while in Italy. Hmm. I had a revelation about my advances in my new language, when I realized I was counting sit ups in Italian. And when I was complimented on these advances by my lovely "coinquilini" (roommates). I went grocery shopping, looked for some things for a few recipes I wanted to try, found some, didn't find others...it rained yet again. And the week ended.

Giardino del Quirinale
Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
Palazzo del Quirinale (Italian White House)
360 of Via delle Cuattro Fontane (fountain on each corner of the intersection)


And today was a particularly great day. You know those days, when once it's over you just kind of feel good and think "Great day"? I woke up a little earlier than usual and walked to the store for ingredients to try cooking a quiche, and came back with yes, eggs and cheese, but also shoes. Then, the zucchini quiche came out perfect. It was so easy so I know I can totally make it again, and everyone liked it. Points for me. After lunch, Marta, Valerio, Maria and I just sort of sat around eating Pecorino and fava beans, some olives, and talked (only in Italian now), and laughed and shared funny stories. And then we decided since it was such a beautiful day to go get some gelato (why is it that I can't just call it ice-cream here?) at the beach. And somehow it was suggested that I drive, so I did. Not so casual since people here are crazy drivers, but I was excited and no one died, so I'm good. Once in Ostia, we found a gelateria, chose our flavors, and walked over to the pier...


Valerio, Marta and I

Vale and Mary

and...for a taste of the moment:

Then the beach; this time I put my feet in the water. I'm happy that what Maria said was cold was definitely not for me...the water was nice; so mild and clear. I can't wait to go back soon with a bathing suit on! And although it's only actually spring, people are definitely ready for summer; the beach was crowded, everyone herding back home sandy and wet after a nice lazy day at the beach. Of course I also realized how in need I am of a tan, so I'll soon be invading Marta's space, laying out on her balcony this week. Thanks Martita :). Anyway, on the way back, there was a lot of traffic, but despite the slow inching along and monotonous stick and clutch-work, it was so nice out that I even enjoyed that. And the best part of everything, was when I came home and walked into my room with the window open, this overwhelming smell of lushness and freshness and warmth totally hit me. Suuummer. It always happens to me at some point; where all of a sudden you recognize that smell...and you realize it means sun, fruit, color, vacation...it made me smile. So now I'm ready too.


I went back to the kitchen and Valerio was already making dinner, which the four of us had on the balcony. What else could I really have hoped for when I woke up today? Good weather, good food, amazing company. If nothing else, I want a life filled with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment