Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 123- Italian Things

Not in a great mood. It's really draining to be judged by people...I don't understand why there's this need to impose or force certain ideas on you, opinions of this or that.  Why can't I just think what I think and be left alone. Everyone has a reason for the way they are, everyone has positive things to contribute to the world...no one is perfect, no one knows everything. So just let people do what they do and like what they like.

Haha anyway...I thought I'd write a little to clear my head.

Since I've been back in Rome, it has been somewhat busy, in the best of ways...just enjoying a variety of all things Italian that have become part of my routine. I finally had some company running. Paqui decided to muster up the strength after a long day's work (brava) and we jogged together by the river. Thank god she's not one of those people that tries to have a conversation while running because...um, no. So it was good.

I also got some great news. First, Marta is staying at the apartment for more time! She was originally going to be leaving at the end of June, but now she stays through July. AND she got a job in Greece that she wanted for after here, which is so exciting. Woohoo. And second, I found out I'll be having a most special visitor in July...my boyfriend, Carlos, finally got his tickets, so after a while without seeing him I get to show off and be sexy with my Italian and plump him up with all the food here, so we can be fat and happy together! Haha. Plans for Sicily and the Amalfi Coast are in the works too...Can't wait! :)

Besides that, last Sunday, Valerio, Mary, their friend Cecco, and I, decided to leave Rome for lunch to try and get away from the heat (although to no prevail).  After driving up a long windy country road, past beautiful hillside views, we ended up at the cutest little mideveal town called Tolfa, almost 600 years old. There, we pulled up to a restaurant we found online, called "Da Buzzico", and were quickly pleased with the food. First we were surprised with a complementary appetizer, called "La Triste" (the sad one), due to its "meager" ingredients. As the hefty white bearded owner explained to us, the poor would make a broth with any small fish they could find and dip some bread in it. Later, the dish developed and is now a little more refined, consisting of a broth, a piece of bread in the middle and sardines on top, with herbs and spices sprinkled over it. As "sad" as it might have been at one point, "La Triste" was a great start to our meal. After some delicious cheeses with honey, and toasted olive-oiled bread that we rubbed with fresh garlic ourselves (yum), I thought I would never be able to finish my order.  However, when my tagliatelle with wild boar arrived, and Mr. Beard shaved fresh truffle over it, it was clear that I would be returning an empty plate. As did everyone else. Soo so good. A lunch for the books...I am definitely in the land of wine and fine dining.

Before we left, Valerio couldn't resist trying some of the home made liquors, of course we joined in...my favorite: pomegranate liquor. Afterwards,we took a walk up and down the little alleys of the town and watched the hundreds of sparrows, apparently fond of the area, flying overhead like a mobile in a baby's crib.







Distant Tolfa

Then, during the week I saw some friends from Chile, Jesu and Montse, passing through for a few days during a trip. We met at the Vatican, had lunch and went on to more tourist attractions-Piazza del Popolo, Via del Corso, Piazza Spagna- and had a much needed gelato (no joke, 35°C/99°F) at the famous and traditional gelateria Giolitti. It's a must have when in Rome. So far (since I've only tried 3 flavors), I have to say it seems like their sorbet equivalent gelatos are much better than creamy flavors. My mango, Montse's sour cherry and Jesu's watermelon all stood out as amazzinngg. I'll be going back to find out more, don't worry.







Later that day, we met up near Campo dei Fiori to have dinner and some drinks, and it turns out we chose a good night, because Italy was playing in the Eurocup (and won) so everyone was out watching the game and excited about the victory "degli Azzurri". After the food and wine, on our way to Trastevere, we saw something set up on Lungotevere, along the Tiber..so we went down to check it out. It turns out that for summer, they set up bars, restaurants, and stands, creating a type of river boardwalk. We met some people there, had a few drinks...I bought some candy (inevitable) and then called it night. As we walked to our bus stops, we couldn't resist the fresh watermelon and fruit being sold on the side of the road, so we each bought a piece and went home with our hands all sticky from the juice. Perfect ending to a summer night, though.


The next day I couldn't bring myself to leave the house again in the heat (have I mention HOW HOT it has been getting!?).  But once the sun went down, I left to meet up with Jesu and Montse again, in Trastevere to show them the bars and typical nightlife there. We had dinner and a jug of margaritas outside, explored the area a bit and then decided to go home early, since they would be leaving early the next day for Florence. I had so much fun with them here, I wish they could have stayed longer...but I'm glad we could get together and that we actually made it happen without cell phones or anything. I'm actually surprised we were successful in meeting up three times at the right time and place. Take a minute to remember what it was like without cell phones, you know those things we use all day, for everything now. Technology, huh?

Friday brought more sun, so I decided to take advantage of it and tanned a little...and then that night I cheerfully hopped on the back of Mary's motorcycle and we drove to Isola Tiberina, a little island where they have the "boardwalk" set up on the other side of the river. Close by, Maria pointed out what's left of Rome's oldest bridge, and despite the nice ambiance, had an unfortunately disappointing cocktail. After talking a while we decided to spare ourselves more bug bites and were enjoying the breeze on the motorcycle so much, that Mary decided to take me on a little tour. Could I be living in a movie any more?? We went to Aventine Hill (one of the seven hills of Rome)past some beautiful churches, to see "Il Giardino degli Aranci" (The Orange Garden), a private garden, with a secret-bearing keyhole. I can't tell you what you see if you look through it, and you might find it less than remarkable if you go, but for me it was so unexpected...maybe even a little romantic? The whole ride was the best...I feel like riding on motorcycles is one of those things people in Rome just get used to, that it's just part of their routine, so it loses its charm and  becomes normal. Like the Andes Mountains do in Santiago. I don't think Maria realizes how exciting it is to be barely holding on to the back of a bike, riding through Rome, looking around like you've never seen the world before, trying to see everything and to hold on to that moment forever. It's such a special feeling that will make the night unforgettable to me. So even if you might not fully understand what it is you've given me-Thanks Mary :).

So that basically brings me up to date...Tomorrow is Pasquina's birthday-actually today by now (HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAQUI!!!), so we decided to have a dinner all together, the perfect occasion for Valerio to teach me how to make...get ready...PIZZA. Yes, the mother of all Italian lessons. I might not be able to sleep tonight. Haha. So I will soon be writing a very special post. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment